Translation and Licensing Guidelines
A Message for Translators and Global Partners
We hope the CMM’s mobilization resources will benefit many peoples in their quest to know and be involved in God’s global purposes. Our primary aim is to make our resources available and accessible to Christians worldwide in multiple languages. Some of our resources are available to download for free online, while others are for sale. Proceeds of resource sales goes toward funding our mobilization and translation efforts.
If you would like to translate and distribute any of these resources, we want to work with you to produce digital and printable versions, often with little or no royalties. We have translation templates available in Microsoft Word to simplify the translation process. Professional high-resolution files will be provided for high-quality reprinting of an agreed-upon number of copies.
The process of translation, editing, typesetting, proofreading, printing, and distribution always costs multiple people time and money. We trust the Lord will provide for His work, and we will also work in advance to ensure all parties understand the costs and time involved. Conversations and agreements must be had to ensure everyone involved is clear on who is paying what or volunteering services.
Any printing of a CMM resource (including Weave and Support Raising Solutions) should only be done once a License Agreement has been given by the CMM in writing, after an Application for a License of Printing or Re-printing has been submitted.
Steps towards translation and printing:
Step 1 – Submit an Application for Translation or Reprint
Step 2 – Provide additional information requested from CMM after reviewing application
Step 3 – Once approved, CMM provides translation template or License Agreement
For translations, have all translators submit a Translation Agreement
Conditions for Translation and Usage Outside of the United States
1) Inform us of your intent to translate this work.
- This prevents multiple parties working to translate a resource within the same language.
- We are committed to making the translation process as easy as possible and the most beneficial for all parties involved. Please contact us at email@example.com or fill out the Application for Translation.
2) Working Together.
- The CMM has an established process which we follow for most all resources: preliminary agreements, translation, content editing, peer reviews, copy editing, typesetting, proofreading, and pre-press production.
- We have Word translation templates that make it easier for you to translate, and for CMM’s designers to place your translated text into our Adobe InDesign file of the resource.
- If you feel you need images and design to be contextualized, we will work out an arrangement to do it together.
- If at some point you have original and editable files, return them to the CMM.
- We will always give proper credit to translators for their work.
- We also reserve the right to make future edits and produce new digital or print versions of the resource.
- All downloadable CMM resources must be hosted on a CMM owned website, which ensures future versions can be updated. Partners wishing to distribute and share CMM resources online should have a description and link to the CMM resource page.
3) The resource must be affordable and accessible.
- Make available the content or resource digitally and free of charge.
- Printed products for sale should be affordable.
- The CMM or other ministries may print their own versions for free or low-cost distribution as well.
4) You must faithfully translate the material as written.
- Except for minor issues of vernacular, you may not alter the author’s meaning.
- If you believe certain lessons need to be contextualized and adapted, please let us know. We are open to talk to you about desired changes.
- You must credit the owners and the original author(s). You may not claim to have written the material yourself. Include the following statement in your translation: “Translated with the permission of the Center for Mission Mobilization.”
5) Update the CMM on usage of this resource.
- We love to hear how our resources are being used! We will ask you periodically to complete a brief survey of how you are using these resources in your ministry.
- Each License Agreement will be for a specific quantity and time-frame. Any additional printing requires an updated Application for License for Printing or Reprinting and License Agreement.
- We would love your feedback on our resources, as well as ideas for new materials you feel would be important and effective.
- We will let you know of additional or updated resources.